Re: Module semi-proposal: gnome-shell

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 11:06 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 09:18 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
> > On 02/11/09 22:59, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>
> > I dont want to comment too much on zeitgeist but AFAIK all querying,
> > tagging and event logging can be done in the tracker DB. A tracker
> > miner could be created to perform such logging although it seems the
> > zeitgeist team want to use a python daemon instead.
>
> Hrrm, I need to read this ML more often :-\
>
> > > I personally would like to merge zeitgeist functionality into tracker
> > > but really its up to the zeitgeist team on whether they are willing to
> > > do this (it would mean converting the python code to Vala/Genie or C as
> > > well)
> >
> > Why is that necessary? It should work with Python AFAIK.
>
> Yes, I was also wondering what Jamie is talking about here.

well I dont wanna start a language flamewar but I dont think its smart
to use python or another platform type VM for a startup daemon as it
will slow down logging into desktop - remember those platform libs and
bindings cause extra I/O so no matter how fast your machine is you will
notice the extra seconds it would take to log in

jamie