Seed 0.8 released
- From: Robert Carr <carrr rpi edu>
- To: gnome-announce-list gnome org, desktop-devel-list gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Seed 0.8 released
- Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 06:10:14 -0400
Today I am happy once again to announce the release of Seed 0.8
"Bringing It All Back Home".
Tarballs are available at
For those not familiar, Seed (http://live.gnome.org/Seed), is a
GNOME platform. Using GObject-introspection, Seed provides automatic
bindings around most GObject style libraries. In addition Seed has an
API, which in combination with GObject-introspection can be used to
easily enable your GObject application to be made extensible with
epiphany). In addition to GNOME libraries, Seed can also access
OpenGL, a significant portion of the POSIX API (based on Python's OS
module) and various C libraries, such as cairo, libxml, or GNU
Readline. Seed also has a fairly complete set of (client side for
now) DBus bindings. More modules can easily be written through a C
Bugs are welcome in the 'seed' component on GNOME bugzilla.
Seed has a documentation site at http://gnome.org/~racarr/seed
This release is the first to depend on 'gnome-js-common', which
contains modules and bits of code/tests useful for both GJS and
Seed. Some other highlights of this release include:
* Cairo bindings.
* Search path works with prefix.
* Module documentation improved, and moved to docbook.
* New GtkBuilder module for automatic signal connection.
* A few leaks fixed.
* Ability to set non GObject properties through JSON constructors
improves design in many cases.
This release is a little hard to summarize, so I would suggest interested
individuals read the "full" changelog, below.
== Seed 0.8, "Bringing It All Back Home" (2009.05.27) ==
* Importer now supports constructing directory objects,
to avoid manipulation of search path.
Importer directory objects now support property enumeration.
* Fix small leak in GObject wrapper initialization.
(and also simplify the process).
* GtkBuilder module to handle GtkBuilder automatic signal connection.
* *_init methods now take normal arrays (by value)
in addition to the special Seed.argv array.
* GObject constructors (init methods) now take "self" as a parameter.
* Passing non gobject-properties to a GObject
constructor will set the properties on the GObject wrapper.
* Module documentation rewritten in docbook, and builds one nice manual.
* New Cairo module, supports most of the cairo API, with
automatic memory management and all that great stuff.
* Fix a reference count leak introduced in the last few releases.
in some cases with non INITIALLY_UNOWNED objects.
* Some work on ClutterPad examples, and writing examples
which live inside of it. (lots of fun to play with!,
cairo example...fun spring example...ClutterBox2D)
* Working around a WebKit bug (which is actually fixed in SVN now),
should prevent a crash that happened sometimes with C modules.
* Clutter animatev wrapper looks up property type wrapper now,
so as to avoid having to pass [GObject.TYPE_FOO, bar]
* Implement some varargs functions which can be implemented
* JSON stuff (stringify,parse) is now in gnome-js-common.
* Add seed_value_to_format to API, for converting an Array
of SeedValue based on a format string.
* Install seed-debug.h so modules can make use of it.
* Search path now works in nonstandard prefix, default search path includes
gnome-js-common moduledir (from pkgconfig).
* Support to/from Date objects to time_t.
* The usual round of example cleanup/improvements.
] [Thread Prev