Re: Platform

On 2009.05.21, at 07:36, Matej Cepl wrote:

Stefan Kost, Mon, 18 May 2009 22:39:21 +0300:
Now that apple has closed the whole bonjour stack, I would prefer to
build on upnp. We have gupnp, which is actively developed and fitting
nicely here.

a) Nothing can be more closed than closed ... which Microsoft's UPNP IIRC. b) UPNP is known security threat and the only sensible advice to anybody caring a bit about security is to switch it off (on Windows, don't know
the situation on Linux).
c) Have Apple threatened Lennart to stop him from developing avahi? Or
what is the problem?

I, too, am interested to know what this means. As far as I know (and http://developer.apple.com/opensource/internet/bonjour.html agrees with me), Apple's implementation of Bonjour is still published under the Apache License... I do notice that the last release was three years ago, and that their CVS server (yikes) seems to be down (I wanted to check out the code and see if anything had been pushed there in the last 3 years), perhaps that's what he's referring to?

Matěj