Re: Location of autostart files

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 19:51 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> autostart files shipped by GNOME programs used to reside
> in /usr/share/gnome/autostart. Now, I’m finding more and more of them
> in /etc/xdg/autostart. This is a problem for a few reasons.

Everything you say made sense to me.

> Letting the administrator configure site-wide whether the
> program should be autostarted or not...

I agree that this was probably misguided.

Anyone sane who is trying to roll out "site-wide" setup is going to do
so via local package(s) with the extra bits they want [and in any case
is going to do all that via a configuration management engine]. So they
can quite handily use those packages to plop whatever they want where
ever they like. ie /usr; putting things in /etc just because /usr is
under package manager control would seem to be missing the boat.

AfC
Sydney