Re: git and trailing whitespace

On Wed, 06.05.09 00:01, Vincent Untz (vuntz gnome org) wrote:

> > This is not a question of coding style.  Whatever kind of indenting
> > you choose, trailing whitespace cleanliness is about making git more
> > fun without losing anything.
> >
> > Of course, enforcing this is a controversial issue and there are many
> > different ways one could implement this:
>
> Are there places where trailing whitespaces are "valid" (ie, we want
> them)? Or are the checks only looking at code files?

I was wondering about that too myself, and have asked quite a few
folks if they knew any cases where trailing whitespace was intended
and useful. Noone ever came up with anything.

So, I am pretty sure there is no sensible use of trailing whitespace,
but uh, we can never know with absolute certainty.

What is pretty clear though is that trailing whitespace in .c files
makes no sense, so a conservative approach could be to check just
those files. (and .cc, and so on)

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net