Re: fast-forward only policy

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 12:33:59AM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:

> >> There are many reasons, I thought it was obvious that 'stable' is
> >> simpler than '1-2'.
> >
> > Not to me when there are multiple stable branches. It then just is
> > latest-stable.
>
> To me one would be 'stable' the other one would be 'maint'. If you are
> going to argue that there could be 3 stable branches at the same time
> then I would say: 'stable' (1-4), '1-2' and '1-0' make sense, but as
> soon as the branch stops being active it should be deleted.

Multiple stable things? Just confusing. Don't agree with deleting branch
names.

> >> Gentoo is using your tarball releases. Or what do you mean?
> >
> > They complain when stuff isn't branched/tagged properly. Forgot which.
>
> Well, ask them. I think they would be perfectly fine with a 'stable'

I'm not going to do your work.

'I think'... we must be sure.

> branch. That way they don't need to update their ebuild each time
> there's a new major GNOME release.
>
> > You didn't address the rest of my question.
>
> I'm not sure what exactly you mean:
> Can we rename branches? <- Yes
> What breaks? <- Huh?

Is "What breaks" really that unclear?

> Gentoo? <- Huh?

> >> The latest one, of course.
> >>
> >> You don't need branches for targets that are not going to move.
> >> Branches are for moving targets, tags are for fixed ones.
> >
> > That is just confusing. Really, I don't see why you don't see this.
>
> That's just how git works: branches and tags are mere pointers.
> There's no difference in the object storage, the only difference is
> logical, you use branches in a way, tags in another way.

Don't care about Git workings. I care about understanding a branch name.
Deleting branches sounds really bad (aside from purely symbolical
'stable').

> You can do stuff like:

I don't understand Git.

--