Re: Platform

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> Hey folks,
[...]
> I would like to get people's opinions on what technologies
> we should be pushing.  I'm interested both in the here and
> now and in what people think the Gnome 3 message should be.

Hi,
   Great time to brain-storm what we have...

I think we should put some emphasis on the devtools suite in
general, a basic "we have tools" message is called for.

Personally, I always compile gnome relocated by hand, I tried
jhbuild years ago and found it clunky then, Im trying MacPorts
now and find it works awesome, where are we with jhbuild ?
theres also another one out there iirc, cant remember the name...

I would be interested to know, what do we all generally recommend
in terms of a tool/setup to compile gnome ?

... anyway, that should also be part of this message, we have tools
and we can make it easy for you to build...

[...]
> GConf -- Configuration system.  There is talk of a new
> system (see below).  But I think it's obvious that we need
> to be pushing something here.  So as long as GConf is what
> we have, it's what we push.

ditto GConf as dbus below, settings, setting observations and
messaging to into a need-to-have bundle IMO

[...]
> D-Bus -- Inter-process messaging system.  Lots of stuff is
> built on it.  How much do we want to push it directly?

I think we want to push this alot, applications need IPCs,
I would expect a book about developing with GNOME
technologies to include a chapter on IPC/settings and
an observer model (something like GConf I guess, we
have GConf over dbus ? or GSettings now ? sorry for
not knowing all the details ...).