Re: Platform

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 21:25 +0200, Matteo Settenvini wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 05/05/2009 alle 14.05 -0500, Shaun McCance ha scritto:
> > Hey folks,
>
> [...]
>

> > The list is what came to mind as I was writing this email.
> > Please feel free to discuss libraries I forgot.
> >

> Thanks Shaun, you're wonderful as always.

Aw shucks. :)

>  I also think it would be nice
> to mention gobject-introspection in a separate part, because using it we
> can easily provide bindings to other languages and many other nifty
> things.

There's a section on bindings.  I'd like to put more
in there, but I'd need some help.  Perhaps it could
be discussed in the lead-in?

> As for other things: is GNOME pushing tracker, beagle or just xesam (now
> that it's published)? Maybe I'm a bit confused about all this. Please
> help me understand.

I am too.  Throw "Nepomuk" into the list of things to
be confused about.

> seed may be worth mentioning. Also libcanberra.

I did think about Seed.  And there's GJS.  I'm not
entirely sure how we imagine this fitting in.  Is
it just another binding, or is it something we want
to push as a framework to be used no matter what
"core" language your application is written in?

Good catch on libcanberra.  It's clearly good for us
to have a convenient API for this.  Do we really want
to push another micro-library for that?  Should GTK+
just learn to do it?

> Another question: what about inserting a section about gtk-doc and/or
> doxygen? Documenting source code is quite important.

I've thought about doing a section on development
tools in general.  This would fit nicely there.

--
Shaun