Re: Im worried about Gnome

2009/3/9 abdullah al-talib <abdullah2f yahoo com>:
> Finally we have the “less options will make it simpler for users” attitude,
> this is illogical, its not  the number of options the user is presented with
> but how they presented, which options are presented and how they are
> described etc that makes an interface complicated or not,

The “less options will make it simpler for users” attitude sounds like
something the opposing camp came up with. The original idea is that
the program should make all the decisions it can for the user so the
user is free to concentrate on his/her work. To people who like to be
in control of every aspect of the program they use, this seems like
"dumbing down" the interface. But that tells more about the people
than about the original idea really :)

> for instance,
> you’re browsing though files in nautilus and you see a script you want to
> run, so you want to open a console in the current directory.. In Dolphin /
> PCManFM (my file manager of choice) etc, you have a simple menu option for
> this (or press F4). In gnome (they removed this from nautilus as part of a
> simplification of the interface) you have to open a terminal and cd into the
> directory… hardly simpler!

Running shell scripts is not really a primary use-case for a file
manager, but since Nautilus has the extension system, you can still do
it with the proper extension with only few clicks:

  http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=908

> How about changing the font colour of the
> taskbars in gnome? You have to hack a gtkrc file! In KDE3 you had a
> menu/kcontrol option to set font colours manually, in KDE4 it is handled by
> a plasma theme.

Newer GTK+ themes allow color mappings too, though I doubt it would
ever be applied to change the font color of taskbars...

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi