Re: RSS engine

As for no one paying attention ... I have photos as my home computer screen saver. My kids and guests often wander into the office, sit down and hang out looking at them! I'm sure RSS feeds might not have the same draw for my kids but for the right audience ...

I'd just make sure there was someway to click on a news item on the screen saver to get more info. Or to get more info on the last thing shown.

Stormy

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
2009/1/28 Neil <damonkieman hotmail com>:
> I had the idea of writing an "intelligent" screensaver that would read data
> from RSS feeds, pretty up the data, and display it on the screen at certain
> intervals.   The screensaver could go beyond simply using user defined
> subscriptions for the data.  It could decide what news to load based on the
> user's current location, time of day, music stored on the system, music
> currently being played, applications currently open, recent search engine
> queries, etc, etc...
>
> The thing is, it seems rather redundant to write all the RSS management
> tasks into the screensaver.  There are a variety of feeders available.  But,
> it would also not be the greatest thing for the screensaver to depend on a
> feeder.

You might be looking for this: http://www.feedparser.org/

Having said that, Microsoft did a very similar thing called Channels
back in the days. And they dropped the idea as soon as it became
apparent screensavers only run when you're not paying any attention to
your computer so no one will ever read the news ;)

--
Patryk Zawadzki