Re: Pleasantness [was: Re: Sound effects]

2009/1/7 Ross Burton <ross burtonini com>
On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 17:24 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 19:08 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >> Then we can build on top of that to provide locations so you can
> >> switch the usage profile, the proxy configuration, VPN settings and
> >> other stuff basing on where you sit (and get bonus points for
> >> detecting locations basing on stuff like current wireless network).
> >> Anyway that's a whole different story and does not belong in this
> >> thread.
> >
> > This sounds a lot like Marco Polo for MacOS, which I started cloning
> > as
> > Shackleton (http://burtonini.com/bzr/shackleton/).
>
> And FWIW, it's also what NWAM does (well, will do shortly) in
> OpenSolaris.
> <http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nwam/p1spec/Location_Spec/>

Interesting.  Is this going to be open source?

Note that Shackleton is more than network location, contexts can be
keyed on: day of week, time of day, wireless network, gconf key, power
source, mounted volumes, connected devices, machines on the local
network or bluetooth devices in range.

This does make a UI somewhat tricky to write though. :)
It's probably best _not_ to handle that in a UI. What's the point in "automatic" context detection if you need to set a huge list of settings first?

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross burtonini com
                                         jabber: ross burtonini com