Re: JavaScript engines

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Johan Dahlin <johan gnome org> wrote:
> We need to have this discussion sooner or later, seems like sooner
> is now required as Robert proposed to have Seed included in Gnome.
>
> First of all, I think most of us agrees that it would be a mistake to depend
> on two different JavaScript bindings in GNOME, we need to chose one and
> stick to that one.

There are three separate things I think:

1) Binding we would like to use for core GNOME infrastructure like
window manager, panel, etc.
2) Binding for writing applications intended to be included in GNOME
3) Binding for writing third party applications

I agree it would be a bad idea to have different programs in set 1.
However for 2) and 3), historically GNOME has been quite binding
friendly.  Now, we should try to limit the set of VMs going into 2).
3) is still being battled out in the larger industry.