Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

On 01/04/2009 05:10 PM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 17:40 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 23:33 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:29:02PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
Uh, but that's exactly how I understood the proposal and I believe that
the points I made (that you didn't respond to) still stands: That it's
crazy to officially want to support git, bzr and hg *at* the same time
*from* the same repo. It's just asking for trouble.
That isn't true. It is Bzr on server, with Git support. Nothing about
Hg, nothing about doing partly Git, partly Bzr.
Then what happens when a new version of git with a new feature,
incompatible with the git-serve kludge, is released? Then we're screwed,
right? And who gets to pay? We do. We're stuck with an old version of
git. Us. The very same people who very clearly said "git", not "bzr".

Is it *really* so hard to understand that this whole git-serve is a
terrible idea?

more importantly: is it *really* so hard to understand that if you want
a bzr storage for git you should probably propose it upstream instead of
writing something ad hoc for GNOME alone? if the idea has any merit[0]
then it should be pushed upstream -- even as an optional repository
format.

ciao,
  Emmanuele.

[0] I'm reasonably sure it has some. not as the one proposed to avoid
pissing off somebody somewhere because we want to be inclusive -- no,
lemme rephrase that: we are *fucking afraid of committment*. seriously:
an abstraction over DVCS? what have we become? are we *ever* going make
*any* decision about *anything*? this is actually a larger issue with
the GNOME community: we are being afraid.

Exactly. The idea that our gnome vcs infrastructure would be run by some homegrown abstraction layer is rather scary (regardless of how well it's written and how talented the developers are). The fact that some people are acting like it's a reasonable solution for a project the size of GNOME is even scarier.

jonner