Re: New Gnome Goals

[ Should this discussion be on all mailing lists? Oh well. ]

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:42:52PM -0500, Adam Schreiber wrote:
> In preparation for SoC, the Gnome SoC admins have decided that in
> order to help make decisions on proposals this year, we will be
> requiring links to bugs with patches the students have written be
> submitted with their proposals.  In order to facilitate that process,
> we wanted to make sure there was plenty of low hanging fruit to grab.
> To that end, we would like to make several of the Next Gnome Goal
> Candidates [1] official Gnome Goals.  Please look at these goals over
> the next week and reply with comments so we can improve the goals as
> needed.
>
> The proposals to be made goals are:
>
>  * Update about dialogs: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/AboutDialog

I don't really see the importance. It can be added, but rather have
other GNOME goals proposed/fixed first. Also potential string freeze
breaker (have to wait until 2.26.0).

>  * distcheck: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/DistCheck

Not sure if this is too difficult? There are no instructions how things
should be fixed. Not what was intended as a GNOME goal IMO. Perhaps
solvable by saying that on the page ("this is difficult and there are no
guidelines, good luck").

>  * Replace gnome_help and gnome-open calls with gtk_show_uri:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveGnomeOpenGnomeHelp

+1

>  * Remove markup in translatable messages:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveMarkupInMessages

As specified in the bugreport, this depends on
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveLibGladeUseGtkBuilder, which
isn't a GNOME goal. Further, you'd have to wait until after 2.26.0
(although is not far away).

I propose the following additions:
1. http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveGnomeOpenGnomeHelp
2. http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveLibGladeUseGtkBuilder

#2 needs better instructions though. The migration instructions it links
to is incomplete. Should be updated by someone who knows all details
(saw in some bug that you had to specify a mime type in some file..
POFILES or something, this due to intltool)

--
Regards,
Olav