Re: BugBuddy uselessness

2009/2/11 Tobias Mueller <muelli auftrags-killer org>:
> I'd say it'd be the best to remove that whole crash.gnome.org thing from
> bugbuddy as there is obviously nobody who is able to manage that platform. I
> assume that bugbuddy would then send to b.g.o only.

I agree with dropping crash.g.o but I'd rather see app like apport
replacing bug-buddy. If there are no debug symbols, let the downstream
handle it (in case of PLD that would mean "report a bug on Launchpad",
some other distro might prefer to use Bugzilla or even send an email
to some list).

There are so many ways of configuring and compiling the same piece of
code that a random core file without distro-specific data is next to
useless. Also pushing stuff to downstream allows us to handle crashes
in just any application, be it part of GNOME or not (many apps don't
have an RPC-capable bug tracker).

I think what we really need is not a GNOME-specific crash data
collector (it's easy to do that using the kernel core_pattern pipe and
we should steal that code from apport) but a gnome-packagekit-like
architecture that integrates the bug reporting experience with the
rest of GNOME (from saying "oops, Nautilus crashed, report?" to
"request a feature in Gnumeric").

In other words: all crashes go downstream (if not resulting from local
customizations, they can be easily forwarded upstream by the devs),
all feature requests go upstream.

--
Patryk Zawadzki