Re: BugBuddy uselessness

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 12:00 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> Hi
>
> In GNOME 2.24 and up, BugBuddy no longer send the crash reports to
> Bugzilla. It send them to a misterious crash.gnome.org, and the URL
> returned by bugbuddy to the user leads to a 503 error.
>
> Example:
> http://crash.gnome.org/report/index/8d6249b4-f79f-11dd-8569-0007e9333148?date=2009-02-10-18
>
> Is there any plan to remove Bug Buddy now that it has been made useless?

This isn't true; we still receive a lot of 2.24 crashers coming from
bug-buddy in Bugzilla. If the crash report isn't sent to bugzilla, it
usually means that you don't have the right debug symbols installed; in
that case, a minidump trace is generated and sent to crash.gnome.org.
Yes, that infrastructure isn't working, and I recall Fernando Herrera
was working on a proposal to make it actually more useful some time ago.

Another proposal, which seemed quite reasonable to me, was to use
PackageKit to install debug symbols on-the-fly if they're missing, but
IIRC Fernando didn't like it too much (that's why I didn't implement it
for 2.26).

Cheers,

Cosimo