Re: [Usability] Announce - GNOME 3 Usability Hackfest (London, Feb 22-26, 2010)

2009/12/16 Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com>:
> I would like to announce the GNOME 3 Usability Hackfest planned for
> February 22-26, 2010 in London, England.
>
> This is an exciting opportunity for GNOME Usability to take a step
> forward and this hackfest will provide the GNOME Usability team an
> opportunity to focus, set goals, and accomplish work to prepare the
> GNOME community for the GNOME 3.0 transition and the future.

As already discussed with Brian Cameron and David Flanders, there is a
great opportunity to hook up this event with the JISC Dev8D developer
event that is happening in London at the same time.

http://www.dev8d.org

OSS Watch are very interested in forging links between open projects
as part of our support services to UK HE projects. So we're looking
for ideas for how to develop some positive synergy and how develop
this into the perfect opportunity for UK HE developers to learn about,
use and and hack on GNOME projects, and visa-versa.

Below I've listed some ideas for collaboration that have already been
proposed by Brian and David and I've added a couple more ideas.

* Organize a day when the GNOME Usability Team or community meets at
the Dev8D venue to give a talk or session or hang out for or hack. The
27th looks like being a good day to encourage people from the GNOME
Usability hackfest to attend the Dev8D conference as it is the day
after the GNOME event.

* The GNOME Foundation could provide some compelling speakers,
presenters, or discussion topics on GNOME Usability or free software
GUI usability in general.

* Dev8D attendees could provide an introduction to HE research specific projects

* OSS Watch will be running a workshop before the events that will
provide an opportunity for learning about Wookie, the W3C Widget
server that is now in the Apache Incubator. This means there will be
people hacking on Wookie and widgets at Dev8D.

* Eye gaze control using cheap web cams is a hot accessibility topic
so it would be good to see some joint hacking on GNOME Mouse Trap and
University of Cambridge Inference group's opengazer project;
http://bit.ly/6iZqbr and http://bit.ly/GL9tJ (thanks to @pepperbox for
the idea).

So who has more ideas?

--
Steve Lee

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk