gnomethree: what about log4G?

Hi folks

The issue of unified logging was raised long ago, but did not get much
attention. I guess, it might be the right time to raise it again.

A number of gnome modules is using some kind of logging, 1-2 source
code files . Why does not glib provide some API like log4j which could
be standardized as recommended solution? First of all, desktop daemons
like g-s-d, gconfd or gnome-sessions would be much easier to support.
Even front-end apps need logging every now and then. Of course,
logging cannot replace gdb, valgrind, wireshark. xev, xprop etc - but
in many situations it makes support soo much easier.

I know there is some rudimentary logging already, but it is neither
powerful nor flexible.

What do you think?

Sergey