How to remove remote branch with git?

I just did my first commit with git (Yay!!). However I first made a
mistake and made a new remote branch called jaap in the cheese
project.
I now want to remove that branch because it was a mistake. How do I do this?
What I read from the web I need to do the following

git push ssh://jhaitsma git gnome org/git/cheese origin :jaap

However I get the following error messages.

fatal: refs/remotes/origin/HEAD cannot be resolved to branch.

What do I do wrong?

Thanks

Jaap