Re: Adding module descriptions

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 17:42 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 04/16/2009 04:58 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > The great migration to git.gnome.org is now underway.
>
> Neato.
>
> > Once your module
> > shows up on http://git.gnome.org/cgit/, you'll notice that it is
> > described as:
> >
> >   Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.
> >
> > Since you want something better than that, what you are going to do to
> > fix is add a file in the toplevel of your module named:
> >
> >   <modulename>.doap
>
> Are we moving away from the MAINTAINERS file?
>
> /me doesn't like duplicate information

Duplication is certainly bad. We have two ways to go:

 A) Not put the maintainers list in the DOAP files and have them in
    the MAINTAINERS file. The plan is that Pulse will be able to take
    the .doap files from the module and add in things like release
    information to create a more complete DOAP file. So maintainers
    could be added at that step.

 B) Drop MAINTAINERS and move the information to the DOAP file.
    (There would be some sort of transition period where we would
    support both.)

I like B) better; I'd rather one file than a collection of little files.

- Owen