Proceeding [Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28]

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 16:41 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> 2) Mutter could be renamed as a project to mutter (binary, GConf schemas,
> etc. Presumably, the internals would stay Meta*) and imported into GNOME
> version control independently of metacity. The uncomposited and RENDER
> code paths would gradually be removed leaving just a Clutter based WM/CM.
> The main disadvantage of this approach is that any ongoing maintenance
> of Metacity would not feed from or to this project automatically.

There seemed to be at least rough consensus of those working on Mutter
around this approach. So I'll start implementing it.

Steps:

 * Create a repository based on the git.gnome.org import of Metacity
 * Rebase the metacity-clutter changes onto it
 * Do a final merge of recent Metacity changes
 * Import the result into git.gnome.org as 'mutter' (before actually
   doing the internal renames)
 * Create a mutter product in bugzilla
 * Create patches for the outstanding gnome-shell changes
   and put them into bugzilla for review; once we have agreement,
   commit them.
 * Do the rename of executables, GConf, install locations, etc.

- Owen