Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

Hi,

Ted Gould wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 13:17 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
>> ... it's worth noting that
>> distributors and other community members using GNOME to build enterprise
>> products will most certainly help maintain the GNOME 2.x shell for quite
>> some time, and the project will support that to the greatest reasonable
>> extent.
>
> I'm a little worried that this amounts to "forking" GNOME.  Yeah, they'd
> all be in the same VCS, etc, etc, but at the end of the day there'd be
> two different user experiences.  Currently, most distros that ship GNOME
> have it customized in various ways, but you can still spot a GNOME
> Desktop when you see one.  You know it's GNOME.

This is no more the case that, say, when Marcello took maintainership of
the 2.4 kernel, and distributors continued to ship it until 2.6.10 or
even later came out.

When we have two populations of users, one conservative (redistributors
who don't want to ship unproven technology and developers who want to
work on the bleeding edge), allowing one to lag behind the other and
make that lag livable is common sense.

Cheers,
Dave.

--