Re: Prompting for passwords on the desktop?

In terms of User Experience I've grown to love the mac style sheet dialog [1] for password prompts.  It's not often that I'll recommend a dialog, or a modal dialog for user interactions.  However sheets seem to have most of the properties you want when a password is required from an application.

If an application requires a password it's one of the few times an application absolutely cannot continue; however it can be problematic, if not dangerous, if that password dialog is floating around away from the application that requires it.  Sheets keep the dialog pinned to the parent application that called them and so increases a persons awareness of what is requiring a password.

Of course there are other issues in OS environment that means you need more than a sheet dialog.  For example notification icons could require a password.  I think it would make sense to look into designing "notification sheets" for this problem.  It still strikes me as weird when I logging into my Desktop that "something" requires my keyring password, that "something" being NetworkManager,

I don't really think the darkening of the screen dialog modality is really a good path towards a usability / security balance.  If anything this takes away from your ability to understand what is requiring a password.  The windows Vista UAC dialogs are great examples of how the application information needs to be duplicated by showing it's name and icon inside the dialog because the person can't see the application that called the dialog.

I'm sure that answer isn't too helpful as I'm aware we don't currently have sheets, but you know how we designers love to ask for the moon. :)

~ Bryan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_dialog_box