Re: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 04:19 +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > During the 2.25 release cycle I would like to move GNOME Power Manager
> > away from a HAL dependency and onto a new DeviceKit-power dependency.
>
> Will g-p-m break on non-DeviceKit-powered systems or will it handle
> this case gracefully, falling back to the current code ?

If you compile with --enable-devicekit and then don't install then it
will fallback to showing nothing in the panel. Falling back to HAL from
DeviceKit is very complicated in the current code, the equivalent is
having your dodge viper with it's V10 fall back to a 55cc moped engine.
Technically possible, but not a very good idea.

Richard.