Re: Prototyping the next generation panel?

On 31 Oct 2008, at 17:56, William Jon McCann wrote:

Very much agree with you.  However, one of the things that strongly
influenced the discussions at the GNOME UX Hackfest was the data
released on the Windows 7 Shell blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/tags/Shell/default.aspx

Yep, I didn't notice the references to that on l.g.o. until after I'd posted.

While it certainly isn't a substitute for first hand data, I think it
is extremely interesting.  What do you make of it?

I agree there's a lot of valuable commentary there, and I'm sure some of it applies to us as much as to Windows. Unfortunately we can't really tell what type of users those comments have come from, so it's hard to know exactly how skewed they are-- they're presuambly the type who are motivated to follow the development of Windows 7 via its engineering blog, though, which puts them fairly firmly at the 'advanced/technical user' end of the scale I would imagine.

Of course their feedback is as valuable as anyone else's, but we obviously need to be careful not to over-emphasise it, too.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team