Re: Removing libgnomeprint* from the desktop set

Il giorno lun, 31/03/2008 alle 10.14 -0500, Mike Kestner ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 19:58 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:

> What exactly is the cost to GNOME of leaving a deprecated unmaintained
> library in the release set?

I believe the point is exactly that it's deprecated and unmaintained.
Putting it outside of GNOME gives a strong signal to developers.

However, this doesn't mean that library can't continue living its own
life outside of GNOME: it can still be packaged for a distro, or shipped
along with a third-party application.

If the application in question is still actively developed, porting the
old code to the new one shouldn't be too much a hassle; it's not as if
you're removing any functionality to the platform, just saying "move on
to the next version, it's better and more stable and people will work on
it".

Frankly, I read "shipped with GNOME" as "people still hack on it and bug
fixing still occurs regularly".

Cheers,
Matteo