Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

Le mardi 25 mars 2008 à 12:02 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki a écrit :
> >  * GNOME-ness: The community reports bugs in GNOME bugzilla and attach
> >  patches, I review and commit in GNOME's SVN. GNOME translation teams are
> >  already translating empathy. The UI is build with GNOME spirit in mind,
> >  empathy inherit from Gossip's excellent UI.
>
> The user icons cry for a replacement. I'd suggest contacting either
> the Gajim team and asking them for their default iconset or contacting
> the Tango crew. I know this might sound offtopic but causes a major
> usability regression when former Gajim/Pidgin/whatever users are
> confronted with Empathy's interface.

It's only a matter of taste, some users like you are complaining, others
used to gossip prefer not changing them... My hope is to move most of IM
icons to the icon naming spec so user can change them just by changing
their desktop icon theme.

> I'd also ask you to release tarballs often during the next 6 months so
> it's easy to judge if the project meets the expectations and if there
> is enough momentum to make it fully usable for 2.24.

Empathy 0.21.x were released following the GNOME schedule, I'm planning
to do the same with 0.23.x. And if empathy get accepted in the desktop
I'll follow the freezes and release under the version 2.23.x.

> (Not a core GNOME member but +1, GNOME really needs a unified IM
> experience and deserves something better than libpurple)

Thanks for the +1. In fact empathy can use libpurple to connect all
protocols implemented in it (thx to telepathy-haze)! but for MSN,
Jabber, IRC and SIP we have 'native' implementations for telepathy.

Xavier Claessens.