Re: install-module on master.gnome.org

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 20 mars 2008, à 22:27 -0400, Andrew Cowie a écrit :
>
> > On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 22:39 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
>  > > There is no reliable way to determine
>  > > the latest versions.
>  >
>  > You said you'd be working in Python; the Gentoo linux people have some
>  > excellent ordering algorithms embodied in Portage. I can ask around to
>  > find out the particular code to look at if you're interested.
>  >
>  > But either way, it'd be nice if we can manage to make this not be a
>  > bugaboo that gets in your way. I know we're going to keep using rc's.
>
>  Any reason to not switch to the GNOME module versioning scheme? See
>  http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-4.html
>
>  It's not mandatory, but it makes it easier for a lot of people to use
>  the same scheme.

Not all parts of gep-4 are mandatory.  But that gep is 6 years old,
and since that time *every* gnome module has adopted the
numeric-characters-(and-period-)only rule...except for very recent
versions of java-gnome.

In fact, I would have stuck this exact piece of information on
http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/ModuleRequirements when writing
that, except for the fact that I noticed all modules were already
following it so I didn't think it was worth repeating.

In my opinion, this part of the gep should be mandatory for the
reasons Olav and Christian has pointed out.

Elijah