Re: communication/information between forward-looking projects [was Re: Some info (Ref: GSOC 2008 advice)]

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 15:59 +0100, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> What most of the developers agree on is that we don't want yet another
> major version bump that means all apps using GNOME platform need to be
> practically rewritten, like the gtk 1.2 -> gtk2 transition.  You still
> see great apps using the old gtk eight years later.  That's what we know
> wouldn't work.
>
> If you look at the GNOME 2 offerings, we have done some major
> restructuring and cleaning without having to break anything in any major
> way.  We've come up with cairo and pushed it beneath pango and gtk+.
> Introduced gstreamer all over the stack.  Switched to gtk-printing.
> Switching to gio/gvfs right now.  That's the kind of reason why people
> get on the defensive when someone say GNOME 3.0, because more often than
> not it means they just have a version number in mind, and no real plans.
> Like they say, version numbers are cheap, show me the code :P.

Right! I've long mused that we can start discussing a 3.0 when we have
the option of compiling GNOME trunk without the gnome libs, bonobo,
etc.. At that point there can be two releases, one that /should/ be
smaller and faster that only supports apps without legacy API, and a
legacy release that supports all 2.x apps. We might release the two
versions concurrently for a year for apps to migrate their code.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.