Re: Low memory hacks

Brian Nitz wrote:
  Third, there's no such thing as
locale-specific fonts.  If a font happens to cover Chinese only, so be
it.  Finally, if you don't need those fonts, simply don't install them
(or uninstall them).
I know it doesn't make sense from a developer's point of view, but it has been a request for end users, "We don't ever use (X language) fonts in our Hospital/Bank/University/Government Office, why are we installing these fonts?" It may be a distribution specific issue, but it's probably an issue with nearly every distribution.

I think that there are very much two sides of the coin on this one.

1) Regular user's do _not_ like seeing Unicode boxes
2) Specific applications require running under specific conditions

Obviously, most distributions using GNOME are targeted at Case #1. That's probably okay, since it covers 95% of the users, and specific resource-tight projects can limit the number of fonts to suit their needs.

--Pat