Re: Should GNOME apps support a --geometry option?

2008/6/18 Ross Burton <ross burtonini com>:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 18:38 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
>> 2008/6/18 Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com>:
>> > I think I'm correct in saying the GConf approach is preferred, but are
>> > there use cases for supporting a --geometry option as well?  Perhaps
>> > just for consistency across apps?
>>
>> I can't think of any reason why that couldn't be a part of gtk_init(),
>> that way it'd be supported not only in GNOME but in every GTK+ app.
>> After all, the ability to define initial window size can be quite
>> handy for any application. Specially in scripting situations.
>>
>> Maybe this should be proposed on gtk-devel?
>
> Apart from that it would be impossible to do in gtk_init because no
> windows have been created of course. :)

Well I'd suppose it would be defined as "set this as default window
geometry for all normal toplevel windows when they are created" but
naturally any code that sets the geometry afterwards (to either
hard-coded or stored values) would override it...

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi