Re: Getting country code from gnome clock?

ke, 2008-06-04 kello 15:40 +0200, Vincent Untz kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 04 juin 2008, à 16:14 +0300, Antti Kaijanmäki a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way of getting the timezone out of gnome clock? I need in
>
> It depends what you mean by "the timezone" and "get the timezone" :-)

Thanks for your quick reply. I was kinda sure I'm not making my self
clear ;P

> The timezones displayed in the clock are saved in gconf:
> /apps/panel/applets/clock_screen0/prefs/cities (where you'll have to
> replace clock_screen0 by something else, depending on your
> configuration)
>
> > particular the code of the country the user has selected. I'm developing
> > a program[1] that could automatically choose a country from a list based
> > on this knowledge.
>
> Ok, so look at /apps/panel/applets/clock_screen0/prefs/cities (you'll
> have to look at all "directories" below /apps/panel/applets to find the
> ones where bonobo_iid is OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet), find the location
> for which current is set to true, get the timezone for this location and
> then use /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab to get the country code for this
> timezeon, and /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab to get the english human
> readable name for this country.

OK. I got it now. So these are the locations that have been selected for
the world clock, right? 'cities' key was empty, because I haven't
selected any city.

The information I'm after is the setting that can be found under <right
click> + "set date and time" and there is this Timezone drop-down list
(at least in Ubuntu 8.04) and it's containing the timezone information
that was set during the installation (from the cute zooming world map
which has those blinking dots). Where is that information stored?

 -- Antti