Re: Proposed module: conduit
- From: "Patryk Zawadzki" <patrys pld-linux org>
- To: "John Stowers" <john stowers lists gmail com>
- Cc: Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>, desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Proposed module: conduit
- Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:34:59 +0200
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM, John Stowers
<john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> If another app calls into conduit using dbus, it will automatically
> start, without the gui. If the user then starts Conduit from the
> accessories menu, the Gui will be launched atop the already running
> Basically I would prefer Conduit did not automatically start with the
> session as it increases login time.
> There was originally a technical justification for having Conduit
> running all the time, but since then we have got better about scanning
> for appropriate connected hardware, instead of relying on Conduit
> running all the time to notice when it gets plugged in.
> In future there may be additional reasons to have conduit running all
> the time, such as 'always up to date' sync (only our gconf sync uses
> this ATM, IIRC).
> In summary however, If I was a distributor, I would not autostart
> conduit at login (yet).
I'm +1 on including conduit for as long as it:
1) does not autostart
2) gets its menu entry moved to System/Preferences for now
It's quite useful when used as a daemon but pretty hard to grasp as
soon as you get to the GUI.
] [Thread Prev