Re: Replacement for GNet

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 11:11 -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> Piotr Gaczkowski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am interested if somebody is currently working on a GNet-like
> > library based on GObject?
>
> The gvfs ftp backend is going to need sockets/tcp/dns/etc support, but
> gio doesn't currently provide anything there and I'm not sure what the
> plan is for that...
>
> Anyway, there's a comparison of the available glib-based networking
> libraries at http://live.gnome.org/LibSoup/OtherNetworkLibraries that I
> did a while ago. I've updated it now to include gio (and to at least
> mention flow). It's a bit biased towards being "how are these things
> similar to and different from soup", because that was what I was
> interested in when I wrote it, but it still works as a general overview.
> If people want to add info or otherwise improve it, feel free to edit it.

>From the GIO part:

* Sync and async APIs. However, GInputStream and GOutputStream are
separate classes, not interfaces, so there is no way to have a socket
object that implements both...

A socket is not really just a stream, so a GSocket object would not
implement either stream "interface". Instead you'd have accessors to get
the input and output streams. You'd also have operations like "accept"
which gave you another socket.