Re: GSOC 2008 advice

El mar, 26-02-2008 a las 15:18 -0600, Benjamin Gramlich escribió:
> Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. Spending a summer
> hacking Gnome is going to be splendid.
>
> About 4 months ago (I think it was October), there was a discussion here
> about the panel. I was directed to desrt's work, but it doesn't seem to
> be complete. I think a rethink of the panel would be a great idea. Both
> John and Luis brought up the idea of widgets/gadgets/gidgets. This is
> definitely an idea that Gnome should implement. Personally, I think it
> would be neat to develop an interface for gadgets so that they could be
> deployed to the desktop as gadgets, but then dragged to the panel to
> function as applets. I also think that the current iteration of the
> panel is a little stale. While there doesn't seem to be any agreement as
> to how to design a new panel, I feel we should try to move in that
> direction.  AWN is designed well, but it requires a composited
> environment. This is problematic for people with older PCs and everyone
> with an ATI card :). I propose a hybrid between the traditional panel
> and a dock. The menu should also be modernized. Vista's menu has a fixed
> size by default, and thus requires a scrolled window once the menu
> becomes to large (this is bad), but it has two panes (one for the
> program menu and one with shortcuts to file locations) and a search box
> (these are good!). The gnome menu would benefit from these two
> additions. (It could also look prettier, like openSUSE's menu).
>
> I know I'm all over the place here, I'm just trying to brain storm and
> start a discussion. The last discussion about the panel fizzled out some
> time ago.
>
> I know that Vincent wants to completely remove the bonobo dependency
> from the panel/applet-library, but on the roadmap he also mentioned a
> compatibility layer for old bonobo based applets. If the gnome default
> applets were re-written could we proceed with an API break in order to
> implement something new?

I think all the new ideas about the panel and the applets are quite
nice, however implement them would take a long time. If we want to
remove the bonobo dependency from the panel for now, we can just port
the current libpanel-applet to D-Bus which can be easily done in a
release cycle. Since most of the changes would be in the library and not
in the applets I don't think it's worth to keep bonobo compatibility.
Porting applets should be a really easy task that could be done as a
GNOME Goal.