Re: GNOME Panel++

I created a half-baked panel replacement prototype[1] last year with
Python/GTK. The code is pretty bad, but I think the basic concept is
worth considering. It was heavily inspired by the panel sidebar
interface in QNX Neutrino[2] and the BeOS panel[3].

My prototype uses a vertical orientation and displays the window list as
a collapsible tree. My prototype also includes an example applet that
displays an integrated instant messenger buddy list. The buddy list
component is actually fully functional and uses Pidgin via D-Bus. The
task list in my prototype was created using libwnck.

If anybody wants to see the code for my prototype, I can make it
available, but it's pretty much a hack. I just wanted to demonstrate the
concept and express support for a vertical panel concept. The current
GNOME panel generally doesn't work very well vertically, and I'd like to
see the next generation GNOME panel resolve that problem.

[1] http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7208/tasklist2am6.png
[2] http://toastytech.com/guis/qnx621exit.png
[3] http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8088/haikutn2.png

--