Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 11:11 +0200, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> 2007-09-16 klockan 21:43 skrev Thomas Vander Stichele:
> > When I'm reading a ChangeLog, I want to know what changed in the
> > software overall; what changes the developers are making, and why they
> > are making them.  I don't want to read about every single small detail
> > they changed while making those changes.
>
> Isn't that what a NEWS file is for?

NEWS is for users to read; ChangeLog is for developers.  "What's new in
this version of the program?"  Users don't care about "added ten new
test cases" or "changed a linked list for an array".  They care about
"We improved the performance of the Frobnicate command; we fixed a crash
in the Import module".

  Federico