Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 12:30 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 12:57 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 11:50 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > >
> > > With git, it's simple as well.  I could, in principle,
> > > prepare my NEWS entry from git log.  But the messages
> > > would no longer be grouped as they are with separate
> > > ChangeLog files.  What's more, it seems most git users
> > > don't prefix their commit messages with the affected
> > > files.  So I'd end up seeing a commit message like
> > >
> > >   Updated the Spanish translation
> >
> > Try git-log --stat
>
> Well hot damn.  Why isn't that in the man page?

Yeah, that's a known issue with the git man pages, that they refer to
other man pages for almost everything.

> Thanks, Behdad.

Another very useful git tool, specially for getting an overview of what
the project has been up to, is gitk or the GNOME version giggle.  You
get to see a summary of all commits, their parent-child tree, and choose
a commit to see the patch right there.  Very handy for patch review and
cherry-picking to stable releases for example.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759