Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

<quote who="Adam Schreiber">

> On 9/11/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > Hrm. I'm not sure that this statement ("_very_ strong general opinion")
> > is true. Some people feel this is the way to go, and some are pushing
> > very hard for this, but there are also people who don't really care and
> > wonder if we need this.
>
> As a maintainer for a smaller project where there are only 2 regular
> contributors (who are both maintainers), I count myself in the "Why would
> we need this for our project category?".

Because when one of the two maintainers decides to do some internal changes
that will totally change the hookup between logic and display, they can
branch away with complete source control support and not be afraid that the
final merge might burn their face off with acid. Over one week, this hacker
might test and experiment with various approaches, all with source control
support, and finally merge the change done in "the right way".

- Jeff

--
GNOME Boston Summit 2007                    http://live.gnome.org/Boston2007

       "Wake up and smell the coffin." - Frank Costello, The Departed