Re: Online Desktop and GNOME 2.22

Hi,

Hubert Figuiere wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 16:22 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
Frederic Crozat wrote:
Hmm, is libcurl really needed ?
libcurl is conceptually a dependency in the online desktop application layer (specifically a panel applet). Longer term though we should probably replace the usage of curl here with python.

What about using one of the already existing dependencies like libsoup
or gnome-vfs?

Any http lib would be pretty trivial to swap in if the Mugshot app were proposed for GNOME, but for now I would not worry about it. HTTP is mostly used by the Mugshot app, not the other components. (Remember that right now there's one "mugshot" binary that includes both data-model-engine and mugshot stacker, but that isn't the long-term plan. We are splitting off Mugshot so it's just the one "feed of stuff people are doing on various web sites, shown in a tray icon" feature, and optional just as using any other site or app would be. online desktop is intended to be a separate thing from mugshot)

I do think libsoup, gnome-vfs, neon, and curl are all bad answers long-term for apps that want to use web APIs or download an icon. The right answer will address among other things how to share cookies and proxy settings and cache with the browser. And IMO should just be HTTP, not SOAP or DAV. So this is a good problem for someone to try to solve.

Havoc