Re: Simple GNOME user about PulseAudio

<quote who="Lennart Poettering">

> Didn't you notice? In GNOME we try to get things working smoothly and
> easily for 99% of all people. The remaining 1% with those whopping pro
> audio soundcards is never what we optimize for.

This is not the best way to communicate our MO. We're very much focused on
"Just Works" but it makes no sense to communicate that as to the exclusion
of other use cases.

Usually we talk about the 99% in terms of people who don't care about their
computers as much as we do. Pro audio users are a good example of users who
use computers in a highly technical way, but don't actually care about them
much beyond their use as a tool.

If we can make audio hardware "Just Work" for most use cases, that'll please
everyone (even the pro audio users and those highly technical users who care
about their computers beyond their use as a tool), and at that point, we can
focus on the more complicated use cases.

The important point is that building our audio integration strategy around
PulseAudio *now* doesn't stop us from handling the pro audio case in the
future.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/