Re: pulseaudio

Hi Jeff,

On 10/11/07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Nickolay V. Shmyrev">
> I also don't like Pulseaudio for exactly same reasons as Gustavo and
> Ronald. I don't see how this will improve our desktop or will help our
> users.

I'd like our music or video players to turn down and/or pause when I receive
a VoIP call. I'd like delicious plug and play experience with audio hardware
(be it USB, bluetooth, whatever). PulseAudio provides a solid infrastructure
to provide those features to our users. It's not *just* about audio mixing.

I know most people don't read emails (I got this same reply like 10 times over private email), but like I said in my earlier email, I like all these too, they are very cool, and should be integrated into GNOME, rather today than tomorrow, but without the sound daemon part. The original GNOME SoC project (GSmartMix) did that the right way, and could be used as a basis for this part.

Sound daemons are old-fashioned, unnecessary and unwanted. We have better solutions and should use them instead.

Ronald