Re: Pulseaudio

Hi!

On 10/10/07, Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net> wrote:
> Here's an alternative, crazy idea that some may consider, just for the sake
> of the argument. If Linux really is 90% of our userbase, which it most
> likely is, and people are doing all this effort to make sound daemons with
> configurable backends and all that, then why not just shift focus and add an
> OSS backend to ALSA such that it works on Solaris, BSDs etc, and then use
> ALSA directly? you will say no, but no consider the reverse argument of PA
> again. It's just as silly.

If I understand correctly, this project exists and is called SALSA
(ironically, another ALSA library for embedded environment exists,
with the same name). see
http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1887

IMHO, I would rather just drop the mandatory GNOME esound dependency
instead of trying to add PulseAudio as a dependency for 2.22. See
live.gnome.org/PulseAudio.

The idea of GSmartMix SoC project is not dead.. In some ways, it
exists in PulseAudio, but with some noticeable differences. There are
just other things to do in other places before that really happen.

cheers,

--
Marc-André Lureau