Re: Question about icons

Il giorno lun, 08/10/2007 alle 18.41 -0300, Jonh Wendell ha scritto:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm creating my own mime-type for vinagre, and i want to associate an
> icon to it.
>
> I know i have to put my icon on $datadir/icons/gnome/$size/mimetypes.

Maybe s/gnome/hicolor is better, so any fd.o compliant desktop
environment or toolkit will be able to use it, not only GNOME or
"gnome" (the icon theme) based themes.

However, there isn't a standard way/approach to install custom MIME
icons yet, try to poke on gnome-themes-list (and Rodew Dawes)

> My question is: Is it possible just to create symbolic links instead of
> ship my own icon? I think this is better for two reasons: saving HD
> space and follow theme changes.

This is not a good idea, IMHO. Of course a new icon to provide is more
work for icon themes makers, but we are lobbying Tango style for those
stuff, so artists don't have to recreate thousand new icons, just the
key ones, and ignore application custom icons.