Re: External dependency for 2.22: managed D-Bus

On Nov 16, 2007 4:37 AM, Alp Toker <alp atoker com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I noticed we missed managed D-Bus[0] in the list of external
> dependencies for 2.21. It's used pretty extensively by Tomboy which is
> in the core desktop module, as well as a handful of other applications
> like F-Spot, last-exit and Banshee.
>
> Module           Version#  Download
> ------           --------  --------
> ndesk-dbus       0.6.0     http://www.ndesk.org/archive/ndesk-dbus
> ndesk-dbus-glib  0.4.1     http://www.ndesk.org/archive/ndesk-dbus
>
> Both libraries have strict ABI stability guarantees, and have not broken
> compatibility since the first release.
>
> There are also a bunch of copies of these modules scattered throughout
> GNOME SVN, which is no good for security-critical IPC code. Getting them
> on the list of blessed external dependencies will encourage developers
> to stop bundling.
>
>    [0] http://www.ndesk.org/DBus

I'd like to second this.  Managed DBus has been a real pleasure to
use, especially with Alp as such a helpful and responsible maintainer.
 It is a bit of a pain having to bundle a copy of it in the Tomboy
tarball.  Nowadays stable ndesk-dbus* packages exist for the recent
versions of the major distros.

Managed DBus is the natural way to use DBus in Mono languages, so as
long as Mono and DBus are part of GNOME, I think it's a no-brainer to
make Managed DBus a blessed external dependency.

Sandy