Re: Bumping avahi requirement for GNOME to 0.6.21

On Nov 12, 2007 11:20 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 02:21:32PM +0100, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> > Vinagre which is proposed for the desktop needs at least 0.6.17
> > because it contains new functionality. In the meantime the avahi
> > developer already released newer versions which according to the
> > website are bugfix versions [2]
> >
> > Because many distros are already shipping 0.6.20 or 0.6.21 I propose
> > to bump the minimal requirement to 0.6.21 (released in august 2007).
>
> and thus changing the requirement to be higher than what is available in
> many distros?!?
>
> Why not just bump to the minimum workable version? Meaning, 0.6.17? Why
> aim for 0.6.21?
>
> If these are just bugfix versions, then I do not see the point of
> requiring anything newer than 0.6.17.

OK, I think I had the wrong understanding of it.
I guess it's necessary to keep the version as low as possible so that
many people can compile it from SVN by just installing developing
packages from their distro.

Correct?

In that case I ask to bump it to 0.6.17

Jaap