Re: Lowering the barrier

Murray Cumming wrote:

jhbuild should take care of building. There is a lot of information
about how to use jhbuild, including solving specific problems on
specific distros.

My 2 cents: I found it easy to dive into gnome bug fixing and code contributing - the barrier was low, in other words.

Except jhbuild. It is pretty amazing in what it does, but I found it very challenging to set up and get work reliably. Getting it to work took a lot of googling, and exporting of various environment variables that I barely understood (library paths, etc).

I think some "proven" jhbuild recipes for current Ubuntu and Fedora distros would be very helpful, somewhere on the gnome web site.

- Mike