Re: Lowering the barrier

Who wrote:

> http://live.gnome.org/GtkLove doesn't even mention that anyone marking
> a bug as being a GnomeLove bug should be prepared to help a beginner
> to solve it (this is also likely to lead to 'misuse', I guess):
>
> "Love Bug List
>
> This list is intended as collection of bugs suitable for novice GTK+
> hackers. Add items to it (adding the 'gnome-love' keyword to the bug)
> only if you think they could be fixed in a reasonable time frame by a
> free software developer without much experience in GTK+. If you are
> unsure, add it. Please do not use this list as a personal whishlist of
> issues you'd like to see fixed. "
>
> Specifically, I think that the "If you are unsure, add it" comment
> could lead to frustration?
>
> Also
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove does not make it specifically clear
> anywhere that there are people to support anyone fixing a 'GnomeLove'
> bug, in contrast The 'Mentored Projects' sections is specifically
> mentioned, http://live.gnome.org/MentoredProjects, with mentoring
> being a clear component - could that page also mention that a
> GnomeLove bug, in it's own way, is like a mentored project? I guess
> just a few tweaks of both pages could be very useful here?

What about a third category (after love-bug and mentored-project) such
as 'gnome-academic-bug' intended to be a student project for few weeks,
few months or a semester ?

Computer science education is more and more in need of original projects
for their students and if you could just mark some bugs and/or some
wishes to be feasible by some students it would be nice.

In a matter of fact I'm already using the bug-list of Gnome for getting
some projects for my master students. :)

Regards
--
Emmanuel Fleury

Put something new in the World.
  -- Iben Hjejle (as Laura in "High-Fidelity")