Re: gnome-terminal and multiple locales?

On 5/27/07, Grant McLean <grant mclean net nz> wrote:
Hi all

I've had a question about locale support from a user of my SSHMenu
applet.  It turns out it's really a question about gnome-terminal's
locale handling.

Normally, this user works in the pl_PL.UTF-8 locale.  Occasionally, he
needs to connect to an older server that doesn't support UTF-8 locales
so he needs to use an ISO-8859-2 (Latin-2) locale instead.  Here's an
example shell script:

  #!/bin/sh
  LC_ALL=pl_PL gnome-terminal

By placing that shell script on the desktop and double-clicking it, the
user can get a terminal window that supports Latin-2.  He can now SSH to
the server and everything works as expected, except ...

If a second gnome-terminal window is started by selecting "Terminal"
from the main GNOME menu (ie: not by running the script above), the new
terminal window also uses the Latin-2 locale.

It seems that because gnome-terminal uses one process to manage all
terminal windows, the locale of the first window launched will 'win' and
that locale will be applied to all other windows.

Is there any way to work around this behaviour?  It would seem desirable
for example to be able to specify a locale in a terminal profile.

Any suggestions or workarounds?

you might try the --diable-factory commandline option as a workaround

--
jonner