Re: Rise of the Plugins

Sex, 2007-05-18 às 12:50 +0100, Andrew Sobala escreveu:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > Sex, 2007-05-18 às 12:54 +0200, Martin Soto escreveu:
> >> Hi Andrew,

> > However, while /home/ can be mounted without any execution
> > permissions, /usr not, and thus applications started by the session
> > manager are supposedly blessed by the admins (distro maintainers, and
> > what not) while those installed in ~/ *aren't*.
>
> It's a good point. So we can solve this by requiring plugins to have +x
> in order to be loaded? Seems quite elegant to me.

In a non-exec partition, you can still have the +x bits, even though
programs won't execute so I don't think it is a meaningful check.

This is a tricky problem, and quite the same as with firefox add-ons...

Stuff like these opens attack vectors through which "viruses", "trojans"
and what not can come in and wreack havoc. It's best to not be there at
all unless very safe sandboxes are used.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?